It is important that you read the following Privacy Statement, Terms and Conditions and Disclaimer (the "Terms and Conditions"). If you agree to enter the site, click at the end of this page. If you disagree with the Terms and Conditions access to the site will be denied.
Please note that it is especially important that you read all of the Terms and Conditions because if you decide to register, you will also be asked to confirm whether you wish to receive further information from us.
Copyright© Smith & Nephew Medical Limited 2001-2005
How we will use your data
Smith & Nephew Medical Limited is required to comply with European legislation (Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC) as implemented in the UK by the Data Protection Act 1998 in relation to the personal data which we hold about you. Personal information requested to enter the site has been kept to a minimum and is held securely. Smith & Nephew Medical Limited will use your personal data for the proper operation and functioning of the website. The data will be used for administration purposes by being held on a database so that we have a record of our users' details and so that we can monitor the number of people accessing the site. We will also use your personal data for verification and security purposes. For example, you will be issued with a password when you first register with the site which you may be asked for when you revisit it. As part of the registration procedure, you will have access to a list of different areas of medical expertise. We would ask you to tick those areas in which you are interested. This information will be used by Smith & Nephew Medical Limited for the purpose of market research in order to assist us in the further development of this website content.
Information you may receive from us
In addition to the information which is posted on the website, we also offer supplemental bulletins which, if you so choose, will be sent to you directly by e-mail once you have become a registered user. These bulletins may cover a range of topics which you may be interested in and may include educational updates, details of forthcoming Smith & Nephew conferences and some Smith & Nephew product information. If you would like to receive these e-mail bulletins, please tick the box which appears following these Terms and Conditions on the Registration page. Note that if you opt to receive these bulletins but at a later stage decide that you no longer wish to receive them, please let us know by deselecting the option on our website. Instructions on how to do this will be available both on our website and with all the e-mail bulletins.
Transfers of Information
The personal information which you provide to us will be held on a central database by Smith & Nephew Wound Management in the USA. In order to send all the information which you may request by way of e-mail updates, as efficiently as possible, your personal data which we hold on our database may be accessed by our Smith & Nephew operation in the United States so that it can send the bulletins to you. In addition, the database may be accessed by other companies within the Smith & Nephew Group of Companies on a global basis. This is for the purpose of monitoring the use of the website and to generate information for market research purposes. In addition, it may also from time to time be necessary to transfer your details to other Smith & Nephew Group Companies, which may be in other countries, in order to send to you the e-mail updates which you may have requested. From time to time, we may also transfer your personal information to carefully selected third parties in order to ensure the proper functioning of the website, for example our external service provider who is responsible for the maintenance of our IT system. It may also become necessary to employ a third party organisation to manage the database in which your data is contained. This will involve the transfer of your data to that organisation in order for it to administer the database on our behalf.
By accepting these Terms and Conditions you consent to Smith & Nephew Medical Limited and other companies within the Smith & Nephew Group using your personal data for the purposes outlined in these Terms and Conditions and you consent to your data being held in the USA. The USA holds less stringent data protection laws than in the European Union.
For general website questions, questions pertaining to this disclaimer or for details on or modifications to the information which we hold about you, please contact Vicky Ward at the address below. You have the right to have any information which we hold about you updated if the details become inaccurate or out of date and we would ask you to let us know if your details change so that we can update our records. You also have the right to be informed of the nature of the information which we hold about you and you should direct any enquiries which you have in this regard to Vicky Ward as below. We may request from you a small fee to cover our administration charges of supplying this information to you.
Miss Bryony Booth
Online Communications Co-ordinator
Smith & Nephew Medical Ltd.
PO Box 81, Hessle Road
Hull, HU3 2BN
For any enquiries which pertain to the UK Data Protection Act, contact Terry Dunn at the address below.
Data Protection Manager
Smith & Nephew Medical Ltd.
PO Box 81, Hessle Road
Hull, HU3 2BN
Terms and Conditions of Use
1. This website is intended for use by medical professionals only for general, non case specific research and educational purposes and is in no way intended for use by persons who are not medical professionals. Nothing in this website should be construed as the giving of medical advice and in all circumstances, the advice of a fully qualified medical practitioner should be sought.
2. All website design, text, graphics, the selection and arrangement thereof, and all software compilations, underlying source codes, software and all other material on this website are subject to copyright which is either owned by Smith & Nephew Medical Limited or used under licence from third party copyright owners. Under no circumstances shall a user of this website acquire any interest in any intellectual property rights whatsoever belonging to Smith & Nephew Medical Limited by using this website.
3. You may download materials contained on this website to a single personal computer and to print hard copy portions of this website but in each case solely for your own private research and study and non-commercial use. No part of this website or any of the software may be reproduced, copied, transmitted or distributed in any form, for any other purpose.
4. No rights are granted to you to use any trade marks or trade names as referred to on this website whatsoever.
5. You will not nor will you allow any other person to:- 5.1 reproduce, publish, transmit, circulate, distribute, copy, alter, add to, delete, remove or tamper with this website or any part of it; or 5.2 directly or indirectly disrupt or interfere (or attempt to disrupt or interfere) with or alter this website other than in the course of viewing or using this website in accordance with these Terms and Conditions of Use.
6. Neither Smith & Nephew Medical Limited nor any of its affiliates, group members, directors, employees, agents or other representatives, will be liable (whether under contract, tort, statute or otherwise howsoever arising) for any damages, losses, costs, claims, liabilities or expenses arising out of or in connection with the use of this website or any other information supplied to you by Smith & Nephew Medical Limited in connection with your use of this website. This limitation of liability shall apply to ALL damages, losses, costs, claims, liabilities and expenses of any kind, including (but without limitation whatsoever); (a) any direct loss or damage of any kind howsoever caused including without limitation direct loss of profit or direct loss of anticipated savings; or(b) any indirect or consequential loss or damage of any kind howsoever caused, including without limitation any indirect loss of profit, loss of use of monies, loss of anticipated savings, loss of business, loss of opportunity, loss of goodwill or reputation, loss of data and/or any wasted expenditure.For the avoidance of doubt, the sub-clauses of this Clause 6 are intended to be severable.Nothing in this Agreement shall exclude or limit the liability of Smith & Nephew Medical Limited for death or personal injury caused by its negligence or for fraudulent misrepresentation.
7. These Terms and Conditions and your use of this website shall be governed by and construed in all respects in accordance with English law and by using this website you accept that any dispute under these Terms and Conditions or arising out of the use of this website shall be subject to the executive jurisdiction of the English Courts to which you submit. This Clause shall not prejudice the rights of Smith & Nephew Medical Limited to bring an action in any other court of competent jurisdiction.
8. If for any reason part of these Terms and Conditions is deemed to be unenforceable, the validity of the remaining terms shall not be affected.
9. Any waiver by Smith & Nephew Medical Limited of a breach of any provision under these Terms and Conditions shall not be considered a waiver of any subsequent breach of any provision.
10. Smith & Nephew Medical Limited reserves the right to modify, adapt, delete or supplement these Terms and Conditions at any time and without notification to anyone.
11. The Privacy Statement and the Disclaimer form part of these Terms and Conditions of Use of this website. If you do not agree with, or are not prepared to be bound by any of the Terms and Conditions of this website or if you do not consent to Smith & Nephew Medical Limited using your personal data as described in the Privacy Statement then, you must stop using this website. By continuing to use this website, you are deemed to have agreed to all Terms and Conditions contained within this website and are deemed to have given your express consent to Smith & Nephew Medical Limited using your personal data as described in the Privacy Statement. Please therefore confirm your acceptance or non-acceptance of these Terms and Conditions by clicking as appropriate on the Registration page.
12. A person who is not a party to these Terms and Conditions shall have no rights pursuant to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 to enforce any of the terms. Any right or remedy which exists or is available apart from the Act is not affected.
13. The content of this website is the property of Smith & Nephew Medical Limited. Modules 1 & 2 copyright ownership shared between Smith & Nephew and BSN. This website is for information purposes only and may not be used for any purpose other than as an educational website without permission from Smith & Nephew Medical Limited. The liability and responsibility for implementations based on any of the information on this website rest with the implementer, and not with Smith & Nephew Medical Limited. Smith & Nephew Medical Limited reserves the right to delete, modify or supplement the content of this website at any time for any reason without notification to anyone. In no way does Smith & Nephew Medical Limited guarantee that the information contained on this website is up to date or that all medical developments are taken into account in the information contained herein.
14. To the fullest extent permitted by law, Smith & Nephew Medical Limited makes no (and expressly excludes all) representations (except for fraudulent misrepresentation) warranties or assurances as to the availability, accuracy, currency or completeness of this website or its contents. Smith & Nephew Medical Limited shall not be liable for any damages or injury resulting from your access to, or inability to access, this website, or from your reliance on any information provided at this website. Smith & Nephew Medical Limited does not provide any warranty that the information contained on this website will be available, accessible, uninterrupted, timely, secure or operate without error nor that this website will be free of viruses or other harmful elements.
15. Any Smith & Nephew products shown in this website are provided for information and education purposes only. In no way is the inclusion of any of the products on this website intended for marketing or advertising purposes. Neither this website nor any information contained herein whatsoever constitutes any recommendation for treatment of a condition in any particular case nor does it constitute medical advice. The products shown on this website are intended for illustrative purposes only. Any person who has or suspects they have health problem should not rely on any information provided in or in connection with this website or the products shown herein as diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition in any given case and any person who is not a fully qualified healthcare professional authorised and regulated to give medical advice should ALWAYS consult a qualified person. Please note that some products shown may not be available in all countries or may be known by a different name and indications for use may vary from country to country.
16. The content of this website is owned or controlled by Smith & Nephew Medical Limited and is protected under applicable copyright and trademark laws. You may download content only for your personal use for non-commercial purposes, but no modifications or further reproduction of the content is permitted without the express prior written permission of Smith & Nephew Medical Limited . The content otherwise may not be copied or used in any way.
17. If this website is linked to other websites, Smith & Nephew Medical Limited does not endorse or have any responsibility for the content of such other websites, and Smith & Nephew Medical Limited shall not be liable for any damages or injury arising from the content of any other website.
18. Any communications you send to this website or otherwise to Smith & Nephew Medical Limited are on a non-confidential basis, and Smith & Nephew Medical Limited is under no obligation to refrain from reproducing, publishing, or otherwise using them in any way or for any purpose. Smith & Nephew Medical Limited or any of its Group Companies or affiliates shall be free to use the content of any such communications, including any ideas, inventions, concepts, techniques or know-how disclosed therein, for any purpose including developing, manufacturing and/or marketing goods or services.
19. In the event of a natural or man-made disaster (i.e., hurricane, fire, etc) the website could be down for an extended period of time until appropriate alternative operating conditions can be established. Where possible all planned modifications to the Global Wound Academy will be performed during the scheduled maintenance window (every Saturday morning from 8:00 am to noon EST).
20. This website also enables you to manage your training records. This function is provided for your convenience only. You shall be solely responsible for the content which you include in those training records and in no way shall Smith & Nephew Medical Limited be responsible for your use of the facility or for the information contained in your records.
Services for which payment is required
21. Some areas of this website and some of the services which we offer may be subject to a charge. If you are about to enter an area of the site which requires payment of a fee then this will be stated on the relevant page.
22. If you wish to use those parts of our site which require payment of a fee then you will be asked to complete certain payment information. You must ensure that all information which you provide is accurate and up to date. Unless in any particular case we stipulate something different, we will ask you to pay via Worldpay. We use Worldpay which is a third party service to administer payment on our behalf. Please be aware that Worldpay will need to hold certain details about you in order to deal with payment. Under no circumstances shall Smith & Nephew Medical Limited be liable for any errors made by Worldpay. You shall be responsible for all connection and other incidental charges which you may incur in accessing this website.
23. We may refuse to allow any person access to any particular service or part of or all of our website if we are unable to obtain payment from you or if there is an error on our website or if you fail to meet any of the criteria which we may stipulate from time to time in respect of all or part of the website.
24. All charges shown on this website include VAT (where relevant) and are in pounds sterling. Please note that charges may be subject to change from time to time.
25. The service and relevant website pages will become available to you immediately after we receive the relevant payment confirmation. As the service is made available to you immediately and you can benefit from the service straightaway, you agree and understand that you will not have a right to cancel once the payment has been made. Please therefore ensure that you read all the information about the service and the charges very carefully before signing up.
26. Without prejudice to provision 6 above, our maximum aggregate liability for all claims made by any person in relation to this website shall not exceed a sum equal to the amount paid or payable by you for access to it however that claim arises including but not limited to negligence, tort , breach of contract or statutory duty in respect of one incident or series of incidents.
27. You should print a copy of these terms and conditions and retain them for your records.
Copyright © 2001-2005 Smith & Nephew.